"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Monday, February 7, 2011

SNOW!!!

well, more like ice covered with a thin layer of snow. Yep, that's what greeted San Antonionians on the morning of Friday, Feb. 4th 2011. Let's revisit it, shall we.....

Thursday night I was downtown eating a fantastic dinner at La Frite. If you've never been there it's on South Alamo, across the street from Azuca, anyway, it's a small Belgian restaurant that has great tasty food! During the course of my meal I had mussels, yummy pommes frites, an onion & brie tart (I LOVE BRIE!) & the best piece of chocolate cake! I was there to celebrate two things: my friend Kristen's Birthday and my other friend Rebekah's recent engagement!

While at dinner Rebekah & I kept glancing out the window to see if there was snow yet, we're both from the Rio Grande Valley & didn't grow up in a place where it snows on a regular basis. We ended our very fun dinner right before 10:00 p.m. & when we walked outside there was a slight drizzle/mist falling from the sky, but it was definitely NOT snow! I was still excited though, when I got to my car the windshield was already frozen over so defrosting took a few minutes. I then got on the road & headed home. The highways were pretty empty, but still very driveable, I guess there hadn't been enough moisture to form ice on the roadways yet.

When I got home I plopped myself in front of the news & as the newscast wore on I had a sneaking suspiscion that school would be cancelled or if not, then definitely delayed! Around 10:45 it was announced that all the highways in the city would be closed down due to the icy conditions. I was so grateful for the fact that I had made it home safely & early enough to have avoided the road closures. Lake & I headed off to bed & at my usual alarm time I got out of bed & looked out in our backyard, didn't see too much of any of the white stuff so I thought maybe school wouldn't be cancelled or delayed after all.....then I went to our front door & our sidewalk, driveway, street were COVERED with the white stuff. It was so pretty!

I think snow is very peaceful, it's usually very quiet & always looks clean when it first falls. I immediately ran back inside & to my computer & sure enough, all over Facebook were posts of "NO SCHOOL" "SNOW DAY", etc. I turned on the news & let Lake know about work being cancelled, he & I both enjoyed a nice breakfast at home & he worked from home, while I napped till about mid-morning. By that time the snow had almost all melted so we thought we'd go out & grab some lunch then Lake would head into work. Well, one hour LATER after all the traffic from I-10 still being closed, we finally got to The Rim (normally this trip would take 5 mins).

We ate lunch & sometime during lunch the highways were finally opened, so Lake went to work & I went to the gym.

All in all, it was a good "snow" day! :)
Our street/sidewalks covered in snow & ice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment