So this post is a little late, but in case you didn't know, I was able to complete my goal of running/walking 100 miles during the month of July! And I finished 4 days early!
I didn't run too much the week of our trip, got a couple of runs in early on in the week, thanks Ariana for joining me on one of them, but I took it easy after Wednesday.
We flew into New York City on Friday, July 26th. When we got to the hotel our room wasn't ready yet, so we walked around our neighborhood & then over to Central Park. It was only a block away. We were able to get an idea on where we'd be running the next morning, we'd mapped it out already & the plan was to start at the hotel, run to see lots of "sights" in the park during the first 1.5 miles, then finish out the last 1.5 & grab some breakfast at a crepe restaurant off of Columbus on the Upper West Side.
Saturday morning we woke up around 7:00am & we were ready to get running by 7:30, the weather was amazing! Nice & cool, upper 60s, a little humid, but nothing compared to Texas. We ran over to the entrance of Central Park at E 76th & we were off! Our first stop was at the Alice in Wonderland bronze statue, then over to the Hans Christian Andersen statue. Then to Bethesda Fountain & Strawberry Fields, up north to Belvedere Castle & then, just finishing out the run. It was such a pretty run, so many people out, doing the same thing, playing with their kids, walking their dogs, running in a marathon!, just being active, it was awesome! As we finished, we decided to walk along the outer part of the park & I looked up to see how much farther north we needed to go & much to my delight & TOTAL surprise, we had finished the run on W 100th Street! Totally coincidence, didn't plan it that way, it just happened. Complete serendipity! ;)
So, that's it, goal accomplished! Was it easy? Well, it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't easy either. Was it fun? Ummmmm, the encouragement & the sheer look of bewilderment on people's faces when I would tell them what I'm doing was fun. My knees & lower back didn't think it was so much fun. Would I do it again? Maybe not 100 miles, but maybe something smaller. Like my good friend Ariana, she's running 60 miles this month, like that mileage much more.
Anyway, like with most "physical challenges" it all ends up being mainly a mental game with yourself. Making sure you follow through, doing it even when that's the last thing you want to do, and trust me, I had those moments plenty of times over the month. Especially with the fact that it's the middle of summer! So I did it! #100JulyMiles, DONE! :)
Thanks to everyone who ran with me or "liked" a run check-in, or status update, or picture or who left me an encouraging word here or there, I appreciate that so much!! :)
I'll leave you with pics of our Central Park run!


I didn't run too much the week of our trip, got a couple of runs in early on in the week, thanks Ariana for joining me on one of them, but I took it easy after Wednesday.
We flew into New York City on Friday, July 26th. When we got to the hotel our room wasn't ready yet, so we walked around our neighborhood & then over to Central Park. It was only a block away. We were able to get an idea on where we'd be running the next morning, we'd mapped it out already & the plan was to start at the hotel, run to see lots of "sights" in the park during the first 1.5 miles, then finish out the last 1.5 & grab some breakfast at a crepe restaurant off of Columbus on the Upper West Side.
Saturday morning we woke up around 7:00am & we were ready to get running by 7:30, the weather was amazing! Nice & cool, upper 60s, a little humid, but nothing compared to Texas. We ran over to the entrance of Central Park at E 76th & we were off! Our first stop was at the Alice in Wonderland bronze statue, then over to the Hans Christian Andersen statue. Then to Bethesda Fountain & Strawberry Fields, up north to Belvedere Castle & then, just finishing out the run. It was such a pretty run, so many people out, doing the same thing, playing with their kids, walking their dogs, running in a marathon!, just being active, it was awesome! As we finished, we decided to walk along the outer part of the park & I looked up to see how much farther north we needed to go & much to my delight & TOTAL surprise, we had finished the run on W 100th Street! Totally coincidence, didn't plan it that way, it just happened. Complete serendipity! ;)
So, that's it, goal accomplished! Was it easy? Well, it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't easy either. Was it fun? Ummmmm, the encouragement & the sheer look of bewilderment on people's faces when I would tell them what I'm doing was fun. My knees & lower back didn't think it was so much fun. Would I do it again? Maybe not 100 miles, but maybe something smaller. Like my good friend Ariana, she's running 60 miles this month, like that mileage much more.
Anyway, like with most "physical challenges" it all ends up being mainly a mental game with yourself. Making sure you follow through, doing it even when that's the last thing you want to do, and trust me, I had those moments plenty of times over the month. Especially with the fact that it's the middle of summer! So I did it! #100JulyMiles, DONE! :)
Thanks to everyone who ran with me or "liked" a run check-in, or status update, or picture or who left me an encouraging word here or there, I appreciate that so much!! :)
I'll leave you with pics of our Central Park run!






No comments:
Post a Comment