So today I turn 31, THIRTY-ONE! I'm officially in my 30s now, being 30 isn't "in your 30s" it's just 30.....so another milestone reached I suppose.
But this post is more just a quick funny story from my 21st birthday (too long to post as a status update on FB)
10 Year Ago today, I turned that magical age of 21....oh, the big time. I could now legally drink...that's pretty much it, of course at time, it was a huge deal. Especially since my birthday is in the summer & I was always the youngest out of my group of friends to turn those big birthday numbers (13, 15, 16, 18, 21...). I used to be a little jealous of that, now, not so much.
Anyway, I was in Orlando, with my parents for a Disneyworld trip, yup, step off, I know how cool that sounds! We were at Downtown Disney & for some odd reason, I really wanted to have dinner at Rainforest Cafe, maybe because I'd never been & it looked like fun?? I have no idea but that was my bday dinner choice. As we sat down to eat, after waiting for almost 3 hours for our table I made the decision to order an "adult beverage"...in front of my parents, woah! I got some fruity/tropical concoction of some sort, took about 3 or 4 sips, it was good, very sweet, but good...and my mom stops me & with all the seriousness in the world says....."How do you feel? Are you a little dizzy, light headed? It's called a "buzz", I think." I just laughed, said absolutely nothing else & laughed, it was cute & innocent & so my mom, I couldn't help but do anything else.
So 10 years later, hard to believe that 10 years have passed. 10 years ago all I had to worry about were my classes & if I could work during the week at A&F, seriously, those were my concerns. It's amazing how much you change in 10 years, but not in the obvious ways you change from 0 to 10 years old, or even from 10 - 20 years old. You mature, you grow up & really do realize that stupid annoying stuff that's bothering you now, probably won't matter to you in 10 years. That's what I always tell my students....this huge "crisis" that you're dealing with right now, will it really matter in 10 years? Will you even know some of these people in 10 years? Normally they roll their eyes because I'm old & I don't get it, but I hope one day, they'll completely understand what I mean.....
So...I've heard lots of people say that your 30s are the best! So far, I can agree with that. It's nice to be an age where everything isn't a full blow crisis, though I still tend to freak out often... ;)
But this post is more just a quick funny story from my 21st birthday (too long to post as a status update on FB)
10 Year Ago today, I turned that magical age of 21....oh, the big time. I could now legally drink...that's pretty much it, of course at time, it was a huge deal. Especially since my birthday is in the summer & I was always the youngest out of my group of friends to turn those big birthday numbers (13, 15, 16, 18, 21...). I used to be a little jealous of that, now, not so much.
Anyway, I was in Orlando, with my parents for a Disneyworld trip, yup, step off, I know how cool that sounds! We were at Downtown Disney & for some odd reason, I really wanted to have dinner at Rainforest Cafe, maybe because I'd never been & it looked like fun?? I have no idea but that was my bday dinner choice. As we sat down to eat, after waiting for almost 3 hours for our table I made the decision to order an "adult beverage"...in front of my parents, woah! I got some fruity/tropical concoction of some sort, took about 3 or 4 sips, it was good, very sweet, but good...and my mom stops me & with all the seriousness in the world says....."How do you feel? Are you a little dizzy, light headed? It's called a "buzz", I think." I just laughed, said absolutely nothing else & laughed, it was cute & innocent & so my mom, I couldn't help but do anything else.
So 10 years later, hard to believe that 10 years have passed. 10 years ago all I had to worry about were my classes & if I could work during the week at A&F, seriously, those were my concerns. It's amazing how much you change in 10 years, but not in the obvious ways you change from 0 to 10 years old, or even from 10 - 20 years old. You mature, you grow up & really do realize that stupid annoying stuff that's bothering you now, probably won't matter to you in 10 years. That's what I always tell my students....this huge "crisis" that you're dealing with right now, will it really matter in 10 years? Will you even know some of these people in 10 years? Normally they roll their eyes because I'm old & I don't get it, but I hope one day, they'll completely understand what I mean.....
So...I've heard lots of people say that your 30s are the best! So far, I can agree with that. It's nice to be an age where everything isn't a full blow crisis, though I still tend to freak out often... ;)
There will always be molehills we can turn turn into mountains, but three miles later, nothing is as bad as we thought it was in the first place. Happy Birthday Erica!
ReplyDeleteThanks A! And you're right, there's nothing that a good run can't fix...even if only for a minute during the "runner's high" :)
Delete