"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Monday, February 21, 2011

Red, White, & Black....Apparently I'm Obsessed

So, as I was putting together my February album on Facebook last night, I noticed a re-occuring theme going on.....the colors, red, white & black. Weird I know.....let's revisit these moments in my tri-color history......

Feb. 5th:
I was on a mission to find two pairs of shoes. One pair for Cristina's wedding, the other pair for Cristina's Lingerie Shower. I found both! hoooooooray! The ones for Cris' wedding needed to be either silver or silver-ish....well I found pewter & I'm very happy with my selection. The 2nd pair I wanted to be red! Super hot red! ;) I've actually never owned a pair of red heels before & I was excited to see what I could find....here's what I came up with:
these are the shoes I'll be wearing for Dyver & Cristina's big day! I can't wait! I still haven't decided what color to paint my toe nails though. Our dresses are a light blue.......any suggestions???

and here are my new red shoes! ahhhh, I love them! (don't ask me when I have one pant leg down & one up...) :)

After my wonderfully successful shopping session, I met up with some girlfriends for Sushi & I sported my new red shoes for a girls night out!
here's our group at Goro's Sushi (I-10/Vance Jackson). If you look very closely you can see my red shoe under the table. haha.

Feb. 12th:
So the very next weekend I was in the Valley for Cristina's Lingerie Shower. I wore a printed black & white dress with my red shoes to add a splash of color. I'd originally purchased this dress to wear for our rehearsal dinner & it's made several appearances since then. It's a super comfortable dress. Well little did I know......I matched all the shower decor as well!

there's my outfit for the party with my red shoes

here are some of the decorations for the shower. we were going for a valentines-y theme (more red, white & black!)

and finally the Funfetti cupcakes! I told Mon a ba-jillion times that I don't bake, so I was tasked with adding the sprinkles & sticking the hearts in the cupcakes.....I'd say I did a pretty good job! ;)

For Valentine's Eve Lake & I dined at Kumori Sushi & I was wearing a red top, there it is again!

Feb. 19th:
So this now brings us to this past weekend. I had decided I wanted to host a Twilight Movie Marathon about a month ago & in the last few weeks became very entertained with the idea of going all out with the decorations. All the girls that came over brought an appetizer that went along with the movie, it was too fun! :) One theme that I noticed during my research was the use of red, white, & black, since those are the colors of the book covers. My mom's a party thrower & I knew she'd have some good stuff to borrow, so I was able to use 3 of her table cloths & few other supplies that she had. Everything else that I used, I either bought or made myself. I think it turned out pretty swell.....take a look:

here's a pic of everything pre-food. Again, I borrowed the table cloths & place holders from my mom & the red candles/black holders. The red & black cups I got at Hobby Lobby & the red ones were on super sale b/c I bought them the day AFTER Valentine's Day! ;)

Here's just one of my "quote signs" that I made on Photoshop. I just created a new image with a black background, then create the vine looking things with the Custom Shapes Tool & used Goudy Old Style font to create the text. I would have loved to use the actual font that is used on the covers, but I wasn't going to pay for it! I figured this was close enough.
The book cover above the quote sign came with my Twilight Saga Book Box Set (thank you Lake!).

this was our entry table. I used my boxed set as part of the decorations. I had used roses for one of the main centerpieces but had too many, I decided to use them as parting gifts instead. and of course tea lights....lots & lots of tea lights!!

our stove just kinda happened to get decorated, but I think it ended up looking really cool. The apples are actual apples! My dear husband carved them out for me & we shoved a tea light in each, it was a super fun & CHEAP idea! And of course I used the DVD cases as decor as well.

And now for the food!!!

I made these skewers. I went to HEB & bought a pre-made Angel Food Cake & a pound of strawberries. I sliced the cake & then cubed it & I cut the strawberries in halves. Alternated the cake & strawberries on the skewers, then right before everyone got there I drizzled them all with Black "Sparkly" Icing & Strawberry Sauce (what you'd put on ice cream). It was so easy!

I also made "Werewolf Kibble".....I know this completely goes against my "Team Edward" beliefs, but who can resist chex mix, chocolate, peanut butter & powdered sugar! Most people know this as Puppy Chow! :)

One of my friends brought over the most incredible "7 Layers of Love" Dip....or commonly known as 7 Layer Dip. It was absolute deliciousness! I stuffed myself with it! So much so, I had no room for much of anything else! ;)

Another friend brought over Twilight Chips & Salsa. yum, yum, yum!

And finally, "Bleeding Cupcakes" My friend made regular cupcakes & filled them with strawberry pie filling that she pureed. I finally had one today after my dinner, they are amazing!

Not pictured in the food pics: Garlic Daggers & Blood; AKA: Garlic Bread Sticks w/ Marinara Sauce: Blood Wine; AKA: Red Wine; Vampire Cocktail: cranberry, vodka, & raspberry liqueur; Various fun red beverages, including "blood" orange soda & a multitude of red, black, white & pink candy :)

and here's my masterpiece (errrr, well, I think so). Each item represents the Twilight Book Covers:

Apples: Twilight
Roses: New Moon (they should be a very specific tulip, but I think they turned out just as pretty & probably a lot cheaper)
Ribbon: Eclipse
Chess Pieces: Breaking Dawn

So there you have it, my February has been filled with red (which isn't surprising) but also with black & white! :)
it's been a fun month! I'm eager to see what March has in store for us!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Red, Black and White! And both pairs of shoes! You were so creative with that Twilight Party, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Tanya, it was so fun to plan! :) too bad you couldn't have been here in person!

    ReplyDelete