"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Monday, March 26, 2012

2012 Resolution: March Race #2

race gear ready to go!
Race Goal:  28:30, still trying to hit that 5K mark.  I wasn't sure what the course would look like, but I figured I could do it.  Of course I did myself no favors during the week last week.  I didn't have any time to run during the week & to top it off my allergies kicked me in the rear at the end of the week so all in all, I wasn't expecting to PR.

Actual Time:  drum roll please!  28:05, PR, AGAIN!  :) 


Anne's husband is a great sport!
The Race:  The Culinaria 5K at La Cantera Mall.  This was the 2nd year that it's been run.  The race started on the "street" in the newer section of the mall.  The race started right in front of Zara & wow was it crowded.  The entire race was kind of a logistical NIGHTMARE!  I wasn't happy with it.  First, when I signed up I wasn't required to complete a waiver, just pay.....somehow I knew that would come back to haunt me & of course it did.  Two days before the first packet pick up an email was sent out insinuating that it was somehow OUR fault that waivers were missing....nice!  I got my waiver taken care of then at packet pick up, they didn't have my packet because they didn't have record of my registration.  OK, strike 2!  Got that taken care of, even though I could have screamed at someone when they told me that they'd "trust" that I'd paid, even though I had my PayPal confirmation email, but whatever.  A few weeks later I get another email that they have my signed waiver, but they are missing my registration form, even though I filled out a SECOND one at packet pick up.  OK then, got that in.  Next I guess in an effort to save money they had us pick up our timing chips the morning of the race.  What a cluster that was!  You went in & exited from the same tiny door, then you were expected to know which line you needed to stand in.  Needless to say there were lots of annoyed runners Saturday morning.  Last peeve.....there were way too many runners for the starting line.  Everyone was just huddled into a big pack on a narrow street & it didn't open up for like the first tenth of a mile, which I know isn't much, but it was still annoying because you end up wasting valuable energy weaving in & out of people while you try to pass them. 
The weather didn't help, it was misty & slippery, but that wasn't any one's fault. 
My actual run was good!  Started cramping up around mile 1, but felt much better at mile 2 & picked it up the last 1/2 mile or so.  It was good.


just some of the people who ran
this race :)

Who'd I run with?  This was a popular one.  The usual suspects were there, Kristen, Mireya, Anne, & Mike.  My co-workers Alison & Maria also participated.  Shaunda, Rachel, Laura, Edwina, Debi Erica B., Marcus & Miguel also joined in on the running fun.  And I saw my old buddy Cesar there...again, like at the February race.  All in all, very popular race!

Coming Up (April Race):  Still trying to decide between two options.  One is on the 21st & the other is on the 29th, who knows, maybe I'll do both......next goal though, 28:00.....yikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment