"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Monday, May 7, 2012

2012 Resolution: May Race

Race Goal:  One Hour, which was quite a stretch.  I've only run one other 10K Race in my life & it was during my first running season.  During that race I ran a 1:18 time, definitely nothing to brag about, so I knew I would "PR" but I wanted to challenge myself & really push, hence the lofty goal.  Not sure how realistic I was considering that I've only run 6 miles under an hour ONCE & it was about 10 seconds under an hour & a 10K is 6.2 miles.....so yeah, there are all of my excuses.....
Actual Time: 1:02:35, 2 1/2 minutes off my goal, which is quite a bit, but I still think it's pretty decent.  Just gives me something to strive for in my next 10K.
The Race: I ran the PODER 10K.  The race started at Lanier High School, we ran over to Commerce, then managed to get to Houston St.  We ran down Houston & took a left on Lexington.  Right at about the turn around my tummy started feeling not so hot, so I decided it was a good time to take my GU gel & walk for just a bit (this may have been my 2 1/2 minutes), so at the turn around I started back up again, down Main Ave., back to Houston to Commerce, up the biggest overpass EVER, then back to Lanier HS.
the runners:  Justin, Ariana, Anne, Mike,
me, Mireya & Kristen
Who'd I run with?: 5K Racers:  Ariana, Justin, Anne, & Mike (they were an AWESOME cheering section for the 10Kers as we finished the race, along with Mireya's husband Matt)
10K Racers:  Mireya, me & Kristen.  This was the first 10K for both K & M & they of course did amazingly well!!!  I'm so glad I found other people to follow me along in my crazy resolution, so far it's been super fun!
Coming Up (June Race):  I haven't found one yet.  My "usual" group is running a race on June 9th, but Lake & I will be driving back from a wedding in College Station that day, so I'm out for that one.  I'm trying to find another one, but boy our weekends are filling up fast!  sheesh!  I'll find one though, maybe I can get Leah to run it with me......
My goal over the summer is to get faster though.  Since I'm only training for the RNR Half Marathon & not the Full Marathon this year I figure speed work is what I should really concentrate on at this point.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment