"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Seven Years Later

If you would have asked me 7 years ago,

"Where do you think you'll be on May 31st 2012?" 

I really don't know how I would have answered you, honestly, I have no clue!  On May 31st 2005 I was a newly hired teacher working at Boerne High School & I had just taken 20 JV & Varsity Cheerleaders & 1 Mascot under my wing, I had NO IDEA what in the world I was doing.  There were some days that it was very obvious that I had NO IDEA what in the world I was doing & other days I think I hid it well....or at least that's the hope.....but looking back on 7 years of teaching all I can do is smile & be really really proud of how much I've grown as a person.

Nostalgia is a funny thing....it kinda sneaks up on you.  Life has changed since 2005 in so many ways...:

*I'm an old married woman & have been for more than 4 years now! CRAZY! Lake & I have traveled the world (literally) & I can't think of anyone else I'd want to share this awesome experience with, to say that I've been blessed is quite an understatement.

*I no longer work at Boerne HS & I haven't for sometime, but I'll always carry that experience with me, forever!  I'm happy to say that I still keep in touch with a handful of my colleagues from Boerne & that was probably the hardest part of leaving there, leaving my friends.

*I'm no longer a cheerleading coach.  During my first year of teaching I was convinced that I'd taken on the hardest job in the world, on top of being a first year teacher, I was also a first year coach & a cheerleading coach to top it off.  Each year was a little easier & a whole lot more fun!  I especially hold my "girls" (my cheerleaders) very close to my heart. Sure I haven't seen most of them in years, but I still think of them often & love to see what they're up to on Facebook.  They are all growing up, getting married, having babies, it makes me feel old, but I love seeing what they're becoming, it's truly a beautiful site!  The tears, laughs, bruises, & all the other things that accompany coaching 20 girls will always stay with me & I'm grateful for that..

*I'm in charge of the "news" at my school, whaaaat?!?  I have the funnest job & get to work with some pretty awesome-ly creative kids.  Everyday is a new adventure with them!  Just like with my former cheerleaders I look forward to seeing where life takes my Falcon's Eye News Crew kids, their talent is endless!

*I've run a FULL marathon, I'm insane, enough said.

*I LOVE SAN ANTONIO!  I mean I've always liked the city, growing up we'd come visit SA & run track meets here during the summer, it was always fun & always reminded me of the Valley but it was bigger with better places to shop!  ;)  During my first 3 years living in SA I didn't have time to make friends outside of school or to really get to know the city.  After I left coaching I found myself with spare time, which was a luxury I didn't have before.  I decided to join the Junior League of San Antonio, a women's volunteer organization that promotes volunteerism & develops the potential of women.  I wasn't sure what the journey would entail when I joined but I thought it would be a fun way to make some new friends & get to know the city better & also help out in the city!  What the league has given me I can never repay.  I've been pushed, sometimes shoved, out of my comfort zone on numerous occasions, but I'm a better person because of it!  I've also met some of the greatest women & friends through the league.  That's something that has definitely changed since 2005......

*I have FRIENDS!  haha, I mean I've always had my core group of HS friends that I'm still very close with & I talk to all the time, but in college I really only left with a couple of good friends (Kathleen & my roomies), I moved to SA knowing no one other than Mark & Kathleen.  I quickly welcomed some new friends in the mix, but it wasn't until I joined the JLSA & got more involved that I made my SA Circle of Friends.  Sure people have come & gone, faces have changed, but I love all the friends I've made in SA even if I've grown apart from some, I truly believe that people are placed in your life for a reason & sometimes that reason isn't meant to equal out to a life long friendship....but sometimes it is :)

So, if someone were to ask me today....."Where do you think you'll be on May 31st 2019?".....

I have no idea, really....and I kinda like it that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment