"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mom is celebrating her birthday today & although I won't actually get to see her & give her a big 'ol birthday hug, I still thought it would be nice to dedicate a blog entry to her.  :)

Pretty much since I was in middle school I've always heard how much I look like my mom, now I'm starting to get that not only do I look like her, but I'm starting to act just like her!  I, of course, have always taken this as a HUGE compliment! 

My mom is sweet, helpful, kind, caring, thoughtful, selfless, generous, spiritual, forgiving, & quite honestly, one of my best friends!  Now let's not pretend that it's always been this way, when I was kid, my mom, well both of my parents were so incredibly strict!  Especially with me!  I always say it's because I'm a girl & the baby in my family, I kinda figure that's the norm.  When I was younger this was an incovenient thing, my curfew was always earlier than everyone elses, I couldn't wear make-up until I turned 14, I couldn't wear CLEAR nail polish till I was 10 & boy was I excited when my 10th birthday rolled around, I wasn't allowed to sleep over at friends' houses until middle school & that was only if my parents knew my friends' parents really really well, I wasn't allowed to "date" till I was 15, although I didn't have boys knocking down my door for dates, haha!  And don't get me wrong, I was no perfect angel, I rebelled (on a very small scale)  But yeah, I was sheltered & kept under close watch!  Yeah, sometimes it was hard & sometimes I said....."that's not fair!" BUT looking back on it now, I'm so glad that they did that to me!  I had a GREAT childhood, I had a GREAT high school experience, I didn't miss out on anything, I had fun, I had friends, I was involved in school & I got along with my parents, but they were still that, MY PARENTS and not my friends!  I didn't start considering my mom "my friend" until after I graduated from college.  I think that's so important.  My parents never tried to be "cool" with me...please, I'm so sure!  They were looking out for my best interest & no matter how many years go by, I will never be able to repay them for doing that!

I'm not a parent, so I can only imagine how hard it is to tell your child "no", especially when it might be saying no to something that you very well did when you were younger, but I pray that I can be as strong as my mom & dad & stand firm to how I was raised.  Lake has amazing parents as well, so I think we have a pretty solid foundation!

I can vividly remember poking fun at my mom when I was a teenager because everything made her cry, EVERYTHING!  I have slowly become the exact same way.....and I love it!
me & my mom at the giant Disney store in Orlando
my senior year of high school......being silly!  :)
one of my favorite pictures


HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!  I LOVE YOU! 

No comments:

Post a Comment