"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all"~Audrey Hepburn

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Why is Leap Day/Year Special?

This mythical day rolls around every 4 years, do you know why? 

I'd always sorta know about a Leap Year & why they are necessary or whatever, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was putting together an Internet Hunt for my students that I really did learn more about the day/year.  I also now have an incredible fondness towards February 29th (more on that further on in this post).

So Leap Year/Day:
So obviously, the year 2012 will have 366 days in the year as opposed to the usual 365, that doesn't take a math major to see that....
BUT, did you know that if we didn't add on this day to our calendar every 4 years our calendar would be off by about 24 days in just 100 years!  weird.....
It takes the Earth 365.242199 days OR 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, & 46 seconds to circle the sun, but our Gregorian calendar only has 365 days in a year, hence the need for an extra day every 4 years. 
Three areas of criteria must be met for a year to be a "Leap Year":
1.  Year has to be divisible by the number 4
2.  If the year can be evenly divided by 100, it's NOT a leap year, unless:
3.  The year is also divisible by 400
If you are lucky enough to meet that criteria, you are a LEAP YEAR! 
So 2000 is a Leap Year, but 2100 won't be a leap year.  And 2000 was a special year (not only because I graduated from high school that year) but becuase it was the first year that the 3rd criterion was used in most parts of the world since the transition from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar.
Also, Leap DAY babies refer to themselves as "Leaplings".....and it's LEAP DAY babies, not Leap Year babies....all babies born during a Leap Year are "Leap Year Babies"
COOL STUFF!  I found said cool stuff at:  http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leapyear.html
Stuff like this not only satisifies my very very random brain & thought process but also my nerdy history side!  LOVE IT!

So why is Leap Day/Year Special to ME?!
Well no, I'm not a leapling (a baby born on Feb. 29th), BUT Lake & I got married during a Leap Year (2008) AND our Rehearsal Day/Dinner was held on February 29th 2008, so we celebrate, for the first time, our "anniversary" of our rehearsal on Leap Day.  It's kinda silly, but kinda cute as well.

So Happy Leap Day & Happy Leap Year!  Enjoy 2012, I sure have so far!  :)

February 29th 2008



 







No comments:

Post a Comment